Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

While, Unlike and In contrast to

Level 10 Students:

I've been searching for a grammar rule to help determine when each of these phrases is used. An older English teacher told me, "Sometimes English just is. Sometimes there is no 'rule'. Listening to English speakers will help them have an ear for what sounds right."

The best advice I can give is to review the work we've done, along with the Grammar Plus in the back of the book. Practice saying the phrases out loud, and develop an "ear" for what sounds right. It will come in time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm searching for an answer to this question as well, as 'Passages 4' requires it of the Ss. During the lesson I intuited that, maybe, we use 'while' to introduce some state of events (while the following is true...) which will contrast with though not contradict the other statement (as per Swan) while 'Like/unlike' will introduce a 'thing' (Unlike Jan, I say...) for contrastive purposes.

    I might further hazard that 'Unlike' serves as a preposition introducing a contradiction.

    To this point, I'm having difficulty getting any further with the material. Test Teach Test...ReTeach ReTest.

    ReplyDelete